CAPTURE DATA OF ALL OFF-HIGHWAY ASSETS
Telematics is a broad, interdisciplinary field that encompasses telecommunications, vehicular technologies, for instance, road transportation, road safety, electrical engineering (sensors, instrumentation, wireless communications, etc.), and computer science (multimedia, Internet, etc.).
OEM’s Telematics systems involve the following:
- The technology of sending, receiving and storing information using telecommunication devices to control remote objects
- The integrated use of telecommunications and informatics for application in vehicles and to control vehicles on the move
Telematics is the technology used to monitor a wide range of information relating to an individual vehicle or an entire fleet. Telematics systems gather data including vehicle location, driver behavior, engine diagnostics and vehicle activity, and visualize this data on software platforms that help fleet operators manage their resources.
How telematics works
Fleet telematics gathers a range of data using Global Positioning System (GPS) technology, sensors and vehicle engine data to provide fleet operators with the information they need to manage their fleet.
- Global Positioning System (GPS) technology – powers live visibility into vehicle location, speed and movement within points of interest through geofencing.
- Sensors – enable the capture of data on driver activity, including aggressive acceleration, harsh braking and erratic cornering, but sensors can be used to monitor any in-vehicle activity such as a door opening, tail lift raising and even trailer temperature.
- Engine diagnostics – these solutions pull data directly from the in vehicle diagnostics system and are primarily used to gather real time data on fuel efficiency and vehicle odometer readings that help power digital fleet maintenance solutions.
The data is then transmitted over private cellular networks to secure servers. It is this central data hub that enables fleet management software to provide easy-to-understand visualizations that help fleet managers optimize their operation. OEM also offers devices where data can be temporarily stored.
USE YOUR WI-FI TO TRANSMIT TELEMATIC DATA
OEM Data Delivery has WiFi capture devices for both interior and exterior applications. Based on the same concept as our cell phone app, these capture units will connect to your WiFi and upload the collected information to the cloud.
For example, in large warehouses where WiFi might reach throughout the entire building, place our WiFi capture device in the ceiling to capture all the hours from your forklifts. Have yards which employ several WiFi repeaters or WiFi at fuel stations? Place our BT-600 at yard gates or fuel stations to collect data.
OEM has created an effective way to capture information from any situation where companies use blanket WiFi to cover an entire job-site or WiFi job-boxes without the high cost of cell service.
STAND ALONE CELL DEVICE OPTION
In some cases, there is a need for a standalone collection device. OEM Data Delivery has partnered with some leading edge solutions providers like Morey, Geotab and CalAmp.
Critical to the development of any integrated wireless system is the technical hardware relied on to enable M2M communication, system performance, end-user operations or data delivery and diagnostics. Our partners bring enterprise-level solutions to manufactures, after-market suppliers and communication service providers ranging from telematics products, purpose-built edge devices and the commercialization of new and evolving wireless electronics.
OEM offers many ways of connecting telematic units to any piece of equipment: 3-wire simple wire harness, OBDII and even J-1939. Units collect data points (depending on supplied data) like location, hours, fuel, voltage, live GPS, and breadcrumbs trails, from assets to which it is attached. Units also have the Bluetooth capture antenna and will capture all of the OEM BT product line. A single cell unit installed on a major piece of equipment can collect data from hundreds of BT Trackers and Tags.
Don’t see your company listed above? Please let us know and we will contact them to work out a program to suit your needs.